chili

I made something without measurements.

Truthfully, I started with the proportions on the chili packets, but since I didn't have all the ingredients, and I was making a large amount than the packets planned for, I improvised. I tasted the chili. I thought it was not correct. Too tomato-y, probably because I used tomato paste and because I used more than in the recipe. Then I looked up the spices in a packet of chili seasoning. Add more chili powder, a little cumin, and a tiny bit of paprika. I couldn't find paprika. For some flavor, I added salt, sugar, and chicken bouillon.

But now it seemed to have a little too much kick, especially since I told my guests I would be making mild chili. My roommate has a recipe for taco soup (stew) that is very similar to chili, but it has powdered ranch dressing in it. Milk neutralizes spice, and ranch would enhance the flavors. I sprinkled a little, tasted, and sprinkled a little more.

So now I have a recipe without measurements. But it was good...

CHILI (serves 10 people)

1 onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 jin ground beef (a little more than 2 lbs)
1000 grams tomato paste (1 large can)
400 grams diced tomatoes (1 can)
1200 grams kidney beans, rinsed (3 cans)
800 grams white beans, rinsed (2 cans)
2 packets chili seasoning
1 generous sprinkling chili powder
1 small sprinkling cumin
1 small sprinkling salt
1 generous sprinkling sugar
1 generous sprinkling granulated chicken bouillon
1 generous sprinkling powdered ranch dressing

SAUTE onions in olive oil. Add ground beef and brown.

COMBINE tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beans, and seasoning in a large pot. Add beef and onions. Simmer on low.

SEASON as needed. Serve with cheese and Julie's Cornbread.

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP