homemade bisquick

Bisquick was a staple in my college years. I lived in apartments, on or off campus, every year after freshman year. I loved to make cheesy biscuits (similar to Red Lobster’s) and various Bisquick casseroles. Moving to China, I decided it was too expensive to buy imported Bisquick.

Recently, my mom sent me a link to this recipe for making Bisquick. Alas, it needs shortening (not the easiest or cheapest to come by in China). But since I brought over a lot of shortening, I decided it was feasible to make some homemade Bisquick. Rumor has it that shortening is much cheaper in Beijing, plus with online shopping (Taobao!), maybe homemade Bisquick will become a staple in my apartment again.

HOMEMADE BISQUICK (makes 10+ cups)

8 cups flour (half whole wheat, if you prefer)
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups powdered milk
2 cups shortening

MIX flour, baking powder, salt, cream of tartar, baking soda, and nonfat milk in a large bowl.

CUT in shortening, about a half cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mixture will be mealy when mixed adequately.

STORE in an air-tight container, either in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Use within 3 months.

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP