homemade tortillas

Who makes their own tortillas? Why would you make your own tortillas? Maybe if they were really expensive and usually dry and brittle from age, you would consider making them too.

During my first summer in China, I asked my house helper to make them. I had heard that many of the house helpers know how to make tortillas. Unfortunately, I didn't know the word for tortilla in Chinese. To this day, I still don't. What can a girl do but attempt to describe it with her limited Chinese and gesture.

"Make bread?"
Gesture like a circle.

"No, no, not that."
Gesture like it's flat.

"Not pizza. Umm..."
Add some more gestures.

"You put meat in it."
Gesture like folding something and then eating it.

And then my helper replied "Taco?"

Yes, not only does my helper know how to make tortillas, she knows the word "taco."

Later that year, I wanted to have some tortillas, but it was a Saturday. I googled a recipe and 90 minutes later, I had something that partially resembled a tortilla.

I am still horrible at rolling out the circles (my helper's mad skills at dumpling-making translate into perfectly round tortillas), but I really like the thickness and chewy texture of this recipe.

HOMEMADE TORTILLAS (makes 6-8)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
¾ cup lukewarm milk

COMBINE flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate container, combine oil and milk. Gradually add to dry ingredients. Dough will be sticky.

KNEAD on a floured surface for 2 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 15 minutes. The dough will not rise, but needs to rest. Divide dough into 6-8 balls of equal size. Cover and let rest for about 20 minutes, making sure they do not touch. Dust work surface with flour. Working one at a time, pat a dough ball into a circle, then roll out until you have a 7 or 8 inch tortilla.

COOK in a hot, dry skillet for about 30 seconds on each side. Tortilla will blister. Repeat for all dough balls.

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP