feathery fudge cake

I make cakes. From scratch.

It was never really a goal. I grew up with Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, and all the other boxed cake mixes. They're so easy! And so consistent. And if you need something a little special, there's the whole breed of altered box mixes. Pinterest is littered with these recipes. Before pinterest and blogs, you had to buy a cookbook. These days, it drives me crazy because such imported goods come with a large price tag.

Still, one of my favorite chocolate cakes starts with a cake mix. I tried once to make it in China without a cake mix but it was NOT the same. I've since decided I'm either willing to pay the $6 for a cake mix to get the cake right or I'll make a different cake, from scratch. Thankfully, a friend keyed me in to her favorite chocolate cake recipe. It's great! The ingredients are relatively cheap and convenient for China. Even better, it is simple! One bowl. No special order of combining ingredients. Then bake, cool, remove from the pan if desired. Frost as you see fit.

FEATHERY FUDGE CAKE
from the Shenyang Cookbook

2 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup oil
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
9 Tbsp cocoa
1 ¼ cups cold water.

MIX all ingredients in one bowl. Beat well.

POUR into a prepared cake pan (one thick round layer, a thinner 9x13, or 18+ cupcakes).

BAKE at 350°F for 20-35 minutes depending on pan size. Test with a toothpick, taking the cake out when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and frost if desired.

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog


  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP